DON’T GET SERVED A LAWSUIT WITH YOUR EGGNOG
Tips on social host liability for holiday parties
In celebrating the holidays, we would all do well to plan ahead.
In addition to making sure your guests know of any COVID protocols you wish to have in place, such as masking and social distancing, it’s always a good idea for hosts to consider protocols for celebrations that involve alcohol.
Here are some suggestions that can help keep your guests safe and possibly avoid lawsuits being served up this holiday season:
- For parties in your home, plan transportation for your guests, including designated drivers, ride shares or taxis for a safe ride home;
- Have non-alcoholic beverages for your designated drivers;
- For office parties, consider a ride share or taxi service for your employees;
- Avoid providing a self-service bar, opting instead for a bartender well-versed in identifying underage and intoxicated drinkers;
- Halt the flow of alcoholic beverages long before the party ends; and
- Take action if a guest does overindulge, arranging for transportation home.
And for those of us enjoying the festivities as guests, let’s all be sure to take personal responsibility for our own actions to curb lawsuit abuse this holiday season.